4.04.2008

7lbs, 7oz

The Original Perfect Post Awards 04.08

When Bee was born, she weighed 7lbs, 7oz. More than a week overdue, I felt that was quite a respectable size, especially for squeezing her out in a non-medicated home birth.

Always wee, Bee was in 0-3 month sizes until almost 6 months, and at one year weighed a whopping 16 lbs. It took over 2 1/2 years for her to triple her weight, and now, one month away from her third birthday, size 2 pants are beginning to stay up. She weighs almost 25 lbs. She’s tiny. She has a great appetite, but she’s simply tiny.

Apparently I was exactly the same way, and I turned out healthy enough, so neither I, nor our trusted doctor is concerned about anything. It’s just who she is, how she is and she’s gorgeous.

When Dove was born, she weighed 7lbs, 7oz. Nine days overdue, she was small enough to still be able to do cartwheels in my pelvis and had to be delivered via c-section when she decided that she was laying down sideways and that was that.

She lost almost 10% of her bodyweight in the hospital, but by time we got home 4 days later, she was a pound above her birth weight.

Somewhere along the way, my milk turned to cream, and at 4 months, my little Buddha is easily filling 6 month sizes; has outgrown the 0-6 month Robeez that Bee wore for 8. She will no doubt have to be moved out of the bucket and into a bigger carseat months earlier than Bee did.

Currently, 7lbs, 7oz separates my 4 month old and my 3 year old.

If anybody had told me that my girls would be so different, I would have shook my head and told you that you were crazy. I thought that I only had tiny babies, and freaked out when I realized that my newborn stuff was all for a spring baby, concerned that I would have little for my early=winter baby to wear.

I needn’t have worried. I don’t worry. One of my girls is tiny and graceful and petite, and happily, not as delicate as she looks, and gives fierce hugs that belie her wee stature. The other is roly-poly, full of dimples and squishyness and sometimes gets a sour milk smell when I realize that what drips into the warm folds of her pudgy neck does not see the light of day until the next bath.

It’s tremendous to witness these differences, and these are purely the physical variations. Each day the differences – as well as the similarities – in their personalities become more clear, more familiar, more tremendously fascinating – but that’s a post for another day.

For now, I’m going to sit on the floor and make room on my lap for both my babies. So different, these two, but both grown from my body, fed from my body, so much a part of my body that sitting together, we’ll feel like one. I’m going to sit with them leaning back into me, and I’m going to wrap my arms tightly around them and whisper my love – love that is as perfect as they are – into their sweet, delicious heads.



***

26 comments:

  1. Oh, this made me all weepy at the office, as I wait for # 2 to make an appearance.

    Your children are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Makes me want to go home and shag mchotty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, them there eyes is beautiful! And exactly the same.

    I think we have doppelganger babies, you know. The Boy is not nearly as delicately featured as Bee anymore, but he used to be when he was little.

    I'm going to have to buy a whole new summer wardrobe for the Little Guy because The Boy's old summer clothes won't fit - we're already into 9mths or 6-12 mths clothing, and it's only APRIL 4TH. Eeek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neck cheese! Oh, the memories.

    Both my babies were huge - Pie got fatter quicker than Bub, but then leveled off, while Bub just got heavier and heavier (his weight was pure muscle, from holding his body ramrod straight from the day he was born).

    This was such a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop making me want to procreate...again. I don't need another 3 year delay in my studies because my ovaries are on overdrive.

    Beautiful post, kgirl. And No-Mo is right...those eyes are so beautiful and so alike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed the similarity of their eyes right away too. Fascinating post... and Bea's comment made me snort. Neck cheese...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bee is adorable and Elfin, and Dove is adorable and round and pink. But the eyes? The same. And so you. So sweet!

    Mine was, btw, 7lb8oz and right up the middle between yours - 20 lbs at 1 year, and always fit pretty much exactly the size that went with her age. except maybe hr feet. It's tougher to tell, but I wonder if she might have the tiny feet of Misterpie's family, because she's in about a size 8 as she is about to cross the 4-year mark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. perfect, perfect, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. The last paragraph is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful.
    My second kid weighed very nearly ten pounds at birth - and at two months, outweighed The Baby at a year. Every kid is SO different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your girls do have such gorgeous eyes.
    I also had the wrong size for the season concern but J is, like Dove, larger than her sister was so it has been working out. In my life plan she was supposed to be a boy so I had been expecting to buy new clothes anyway.
    I've always heard granma's talk about how surprisingly different their kids are but I didn't really get it until I had two such different personalities.
    Thank god the second one is more mellow. Which I just typed and then she bit me. perhaps she wants some of that mamalove you describe so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved, loved, loved this post.

    And your babies are both beautiful.

    The Girl was exclusively breastfed for the first 12 months of her life, and was always at the 95% in weight! Talk about making cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice post, and a beautiful photo! Particularly timely because I just wrote a post about how worried I sometimes get about my guy being so small.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yes. this was so beautiful.

    so true. and they are very stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Beautiful post - beautiful girls - thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good lawrd they are stunning girls. Amazing how different yet alike sisters can be. Just wonderful momma, just wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. they are beautiful. love your post

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have gorgeous gorgeous kids K! And Samantha is tiny just like Bee, same weight and age!

    Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
  19. I needed to read this today. I'm feeling so negative after this week of flu. Fever boy is absolutely in love with me one minute and a total f*cking a$$hole the next. Kinda like my old boyfriend. I am done.

    But then I read this and remembered that ANTM is on tonight and all is not lost. And the kids are lovely and sweet and growing and somehow I have my head so far up my own arse that I'm missing the best part. Thanks K

    ReplyDelete
  20. those eyes! this post went right to the heart--lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great, great post. BigBrother was 8lbs8oz at birth and LittleBrother was 7lbs7oz two years later. While they both weighed in at 14lbs8oz at their 4 month checkups (no, really) LittleBrother was TWO INCHES LONGER than BigBrother. HA! :) I love the differences in children.

    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful post.... I'm all faklempt! And, they are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both my girls 7x7 at birth, 20 months apart. The younger, now six, has surpassed the bigger by 8 lbs. The bigger curls her hair with American Doll curlers; the littler has knocked out three teeth in three months. And my son? Fark. Genes are wicked wicked crazy. The good news: they three still fit (kinda, for minute) on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved this post! And your girls are breathtakingly beautiful. How do you feel about arranged marriages? I've even got a spare, to give them a bit of a choice!

    Seriously, by the time #3 came along, you'd think I'd get over being amazed by how different each one is, but no. The more I learn, the more I realize I have no clue!

    ReplyDelete
  25. now I see why you were given a perfect post award.
    I love this post.
    just when I thought we were good with just one...stories like this get me thinking....

    the girls are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.