6.18.2008

A Comment On Comments

No, this is not one of those, ‘We all love and really need comments to keep us going because, you know, this blog is really for you, so share the love and say hi’ kinds of post. I swear, it’s not. ( Although, I wouldn’t mind if you said hi.)
No. This post is about my comments. To you. Or lack thereof.

See, one of the biggest obstacles of navigating the care and feeding of two small children is finding time to blog. The sacrifices we make. Anyway, the point is, I rarely write, read or even think about blogs by myself. The hours I have to blog are fleeting, so I must find a moment here and there while I can. Like, while SuperWhy is on and Bee will not move from the TV, no matter what the distraction, or while the laundry is, erm, breathing, before it’s folded. You didn’t know laundry had to breathe, did you? Think of all the precious blogging hours you’ve been wasting.

Anyhoo, as I was saying, I rarely do anything with both of my hands these days, because one of them is pretty much always holding a child or something that a child needs. Blogging is obviously not exempt from my single-handedness, though it is still a great deal easier to blog holding a child than it is to, say, pee, or make a sandwich. Though I can all three. Not at once; ew. Funny then, I can barely do any of those things without having a cup of coffee first.

I digress. (I can do that one-handed, too.)The point is, I just want you to know that I’m there; that I care, and that I am leaving whatever length/strength/cohesiveness of comment that I possibly can at the moment. I promise. But just in case you are wondering what I am babbling about when I leave my cyber-version of chicken-scratch over at your place, here’s a guide:

Kgirl’s comment is all lower-case, but of decent length and pertains to the actual post:

Baby is in my arms, but she is contentedly playing with a toy. Probably the digital camera or something equally inappropriate, as I am blogging, not paying attention.

Kgirl’s comment is all lower-case, but of decent length, though may seem non-sequitarious in nature:

Baby is in my arms and has dropped item she was formerly playing with, so I’ve picked it up, losing my train of thought. Baby drops item again, and scenario repeats itself. Repeatedly.

Kgirl’s comment is all lower-case and has nothing really to do with the post:

In all honesty, I never finished reading the post. I probably read the first and last sentence of every paragraph, but the baby is fussy. However, I feel I have made enough of an investment in the post to let you know I was here, and I care.

Kgirl’s comment is all lower-case and consists of about two words, probably a noun and an adjective or verb – maybe, you rock! Or she’s adorable!:

I never finished reading the post, the baby is fussing even more and I relied on the other comments to tell the story and/or guide me in leaving a comment of my own, because I still care.

Kgirl’s comment has symbols where letters should be, letters where punctuation should be and then drifts off into something like, 90wer[jf; o9u3:

The baby has become so fussy from dropping her contraband that I have stood up and am jiggling her, making room for the cat to jump up on the chair, than the desk, and walk all over the keyboard.

Kgirl has not left a comment:

I am now nursing the baby standing up and jiggling her, while trying to get the cat off the desk with my foot and calling down to Bee to please answer the phone because I know it is her father calling, and since I have just blogged through my dinner prep time and the baby is fussy, I need him to bring home sushi for dinner.

So there you go. Be sure that, in return, your comments – or lack thereof – are always appreciated and read with love and an understanding that you probably have a comment ‘code’ of your very own. Anyway, better go; this post has become of decent length, though may seem non-sequitarious in nature, and you know what that means.

***

15 comments:

  1. This one rings extra true with me. I hate to admit it!

    "Kgirl’s comment is all lower-case and has nothing really to do with the post:

    In all honesty, I never finished reading the post. I probably read the first and last sentence of every paragraph, but the baby is fussy. However, I feel I have made enough of an investment in the post to let you know I was here, and I care."

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'but not all at once"

    Apparently, you can bring the funny one-handed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy blogging with children... no hands, no time...
    sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take what I can get. Why not get your kids to type the comments?

    ReplyDelete
  5. mac - i'm teaching them to make coffee, first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It never dawned on me to train her to do comments or coffee... dang woman, you should be a parenting coach.

    And 98% of the time, the comments I leave only make sense to me. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gawd. I swear to you that I was just going to write a remarkably similar post. Too funny.

    Natch, you did it much, much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think my comments ever make sense. Your distracted probably beats my best effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LMAO!

    So, so, right there with you. Especially on the symbol part. The Little Guy gives me the stinkeye or tries to type himself whenever I go to make a comment. I'm down to one word comments most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes funny indeed. I wish I could send an email explaining the same to my colleagues. Case in point, am trying to work right now (11 PM) but broken, teething baby thought it's a good time to party and is trying to eat my laptop.

    So I gave up on work and decided to read blogs again. The only reason I am able to comment is because she is trying to figure out how to tear the sh*t out of my dayplanner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was awesome. Half the time I click 'publish your comment' and realize I've just left gibberish on someone's post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I so understand this. Although this one: "all lower-case, but of decent length, though may seem non-sequitarious in nature" applies to me at the end of the day, too, when the girls are in bed and I'm too exhausted to put together a coherent thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. blah, blah, blogJune 21, 2008

    HA!

    You adorable rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. too funny..

    there should be an international symbol that says you stopped by but really don't have the time to comment.
    maybe something like
    *
    short and sweet.
    I'm so lame.
    speaking of sucky comments....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you know that when I first had kids I did not even KNOW there was such a thing as blogs? Did they have them back in 1997?

    ReplyDelete