2.26.2009

Flesh From Bone

My skirt is sticking to the front of my tights
As determinedly as my heart is stuck in my throat
As tightly as you grasp my back in your fists
As we walk up the stairs in the night.

The words on the page are only a whisper
The crack in my voice barely gives up the truth
Salvation, your baby-sweet breath on my neck
As the moon lights our way down the hall.

Eyes red and rimmed as I sing you to sleep
Tracing round cheek, pursed lip, soft skin
Willing my love to shield you from pain
As we wait for a new day to dawn.

Knowing a new day will dawn.

***

6 comments:

  1. blah, blah, blogFebruary 26, 2009

    Very beautiful, k.


    (so, why do we wake up so cranky the next morning?!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is breathtakingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, k. It can be so hard to parent when we are struggling to keep ourselves together, but if anyone can hold back the tide for their children, it's you. Let me know if you need someone to talk to, okay? Hope you're alright like the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my friend. Now I'm crying again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey. I did not know you did this kinda thing...

    absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.