4.11.2011

Once Upon a Time, I Wrote About Food...

I love to cook, and I used to love to write about cooking. In fact, I used to do it weekly at Better Than a Playdate, which unfortunately ended a couple of years ago.

Since then, I've felt like there are way more, way better food bloggers out there, so out of fear of being called a hack, or being judged for not developing a recipe the right way, or being too healthy, or not healthy enough, I just haven't really written much about food.

But I was going through my archives, and have decided to reprint some of the pieces I originally wrote for Better That a Playdate, in my column called, Eat Me. Because the writing is good. And so are the recipes. And they were, like the best, most delicious meals, a labour of love. 

Bon Appetit!

***

All In Together


I am a firm believer that whenever possible, families should eat the same food for dinner, at the same time. Not only does this allow a busy family to sit down and spend time with one another, but it enhances another firm belief that I have – that your children should have to suffer through endless questions about their day and their life as payback for all those sleepless nights. Oh yeah, and that as parents, it is up to us to model good eating habits for our children. If that means that you have to suck it up and learn to love your veggies or how to put up with the often anarchic table manners of a toddler, then do it. With a smile...

This doesn’t mean that each member of the family isn’t allowed to have their preferences – we are individuals after all, but if you introduce a wide range of food to your kids early on, it should be easy to come up with meals that everybody loves with little or no substitutions necessary due to pickiness. That said, I also give us leeway in the form of the two-thirds guide: if my kids like and will eat two-thirds of the healthy meal I’ve put in front of them, I will be happy and consider the meal a success. And if they don’t want to eat any of it? Well, at least I’ve tried, and will try again tomorrow. A small child’s eating whims (or outright refusal to eat anything at all) usually pass quickly.

Here’s another reason that I think it’s nice to eat together – your kids are vital, important, worthy members of your family. Why should they eat plain spaghetti and frozen corn at 5 o’clock while you dine on steak at 7? How ‘bout you meet in the middle and have fish at 6?

Sounds good to me. Here’s a recipe that’s easy, healthy and yummy, and is prepared in no time.

No more excuses. Tonight, you’re not just setting the table for two.


(s)Mothered Haddock

Prep time: 15 minutes (30 if you’re being harangued by a toddler the whole time), plus 20 minutes for marinating
Cook time: 12 minutes

4 generous portions

  • 1 lb fresh wild haddock filets
  • 1 leek, diced
  • 1 med. tomato, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, smushed
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • dill, salt & pepper to taste

- Preheat oven to 425

- Cut haddock into 4-6 pieces

- Combine remaining ingredients and smother haddock with them

- Marinate for 20 minutes

- Bake for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily

I served this atop a scoop of quinoa, with a side of steamed spring asparagus garnished with almond slivers Deelish!

*SoundBITE*

Haddock is found to be lower in mercury (approx. 0.031 parts per million) than many other white fishes, including halibut (approx. .252 ppm), but a good rule of thumb regarding mercury levels in fish is to try to stick to coldwater, wild choices.


Source of data: FDA 1990-2004, "National Marine Fisheries Service Survey of Trace Elements in the Fishery Resource" Report 1978,_"The Occurrence of Mercury in the Fishery Resources of the Gulf of Mexico" Report 2000

***

3 comments:

  1. yay! your food blogging got me inspired to cook for my family... wait, not sure if that is an endorsement of the kiss of death
    anyhooo! is braised lentils going to be featured soon ;0

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm going to make chef dad make this for the kids! they love fish...and I don't never make it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that you bring out recipes from your archive. Don't fear being called a hack just because other food bloggers may seem more foodie. The haddock recipe looks good!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.