3.15.2012

Too Much Happiness



(With apologies to Alice Munro)

I used to write poetry. Lots of poetry. Lots of angsty, angry, clever and cutting poetry. I wrote poetry for many years, through the tumultuous coming-of-age years, through my first, most dramatic relationship, and through its dissolution. I wrote poetry through the years of my most curious, enjoyable and disappointing sexual discovery, through crippling loneliness and creatively motivated sadness. I wrote poetry through the winters of my discontent and the summers of my foolishness.

And then, magically, I just stopped. Well, it wasn’t really magic – it was my husband. Well, it wasn’t really my husband, because back then he was just my boyfriend. But he wasn’t just my boyfriend. He was my sounding board, my light board, my shuffleboard – he was whatever I needed and what made me happy. The drama stopped. And so did the poetry.

My poetry ended almost 13 years ago, just after a beautiful alien walked into my life and made my stomach flip and my toes curl. Life with my beautiful alien has not always been perfect – hell, it hasn’t even always been good – but it’s been solid, and afforded me a footing that I used to search for with words.

I didn’t have to mourn the complete loss of my poetry – it did come back to me every now and then, even if it had ceased to knock me upside the head the way it used to, preferring a gentle tapping at my temple that kept me from sleep at 3 a.m. until I answered to it. But sometimes I did really miss my old friend. My old, angry, clever, caustic friend that used to help me muddle through this ol’ world in a way that not even the most beautiful of alien ever could.

Too much happiness.

That’s why I didn’t write poetry anymore. I could blame my supportive husband, my lack of creative free time, my preoccupation with loving my children, my tiredness. But poetry, for me, in its most basic essence has always been my eye of the storm. My Rosetta stone, translating the chaos of the world into terms that I can understand. And I didn’t feel that chaos as frequently anymore. I still felt the electricity of the world, and it still baffled, and it still saddened and god knows I’ve had some tough moments, but I was not stifled by the drama of it all anymore. So I stopped writing poetry, mostly.

And then I stopped writing here, mostly. Stopped writing in this place where I don’t have to wait for unhappiness to motivate, where the day to day can be exquisitely mundanely beautiful, where I used to feel whole and in charge.

Now I feel, in this space, picked over, ignored, bought, sold, hung, dried, buried under and above it all. Sometimes all at once. Not quite wanting to be a part of where I feel this is all going, but stung at the thought of being left out. Scared to retreat away from this page, relieved at the thought of shutting down. Not sure what it all means, yet sometimes quite sure that I’m the only one that has it all figured out. Utterly baffled. Emboldened by the thought of moving forward without it, desperately scared to leave it behind. Crippled by a different kind of loneliness. Unsure where to go and what to do with this space. And the space that it’s in.

But I’ve been writing poetry again.  

***

14 comments:

  1. Are you really walking away from this space? I'll miss you here. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I probably won't shut it down completely. But I need a change, a change of mindset and a change in the most graphic, physical sense. I'm working on it. But stopping completely is definitely an appealing idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every 6 weeks ... every 6 months, whatever. You still have readers waiting. And it's worth the wait.
    I'm so glad you're writing poetry again and I've been missing the creative drive that comes with youth and angst and feel unsettled, too. Totally get you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words. They love strife and unhappiness. Your life changed, a lot. A few times-love, children, your big move. The words will come back. And you and your page will find each other again. Breaks are good and change is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read your writing and I will be hear waiting for you if and when you return. I too quit my mom blog about two years ago. Ran out of steam. I just don't have enough drama to make for good blog fodder! That's a fine "problem" to have.

    I started up again this past January but this time it's about living a creative life. It's about where I am now. Pretty happy. Content. A daughter old enough where I don't really feel comfortable blogging a lot about her - these are her stories to tell someday if she so wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too much happiness sucks.

    Hope - really, really hope - you're not gonna be a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be here when you write.

    Until then, I think I'm glad that you've found poetry again. Provided that it doesn't mean you're too unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love poetry. Even bad poetry. It can be angry or sad or hopeful. I love it all.

    I am glad to hear you are writing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you walked away, my Internet would be a lesser place for it.

    But I completely understand.

    And I'm glad poetry has found you once more. The world needs more poems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sniff, sniff. you KNOW how i feel. how i adore and crush on you and your beautiful words. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto to everyone above.

    I would be sad to see you blow it up. I'd even take an annual offering.

    :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah.
    But ... I am sorry I have not been here very often appreciating. I think you write well and I love a lot of what you say.
    Substance and style. Applause.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your writing and come by every few days in hopes that you will have posted. If you closed it down I would miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.