1.06.2013

She Is 38 Years Old


The sun is setting on my 38th birthday, a day of cold sunshine and snowy walks and tight hugs from a seven year old possibly as uncertain of what 38 means as I am and out of tune singing from a five year old who really is more concerned with showing me the trick with a lasso she’s learning to do.

I got everything I wanted for my birthday; a book and a card and a date marked on a calendar to head into sunshine and sand and princess castles that my children didn’t have to wait 34 years to be disappointed by. I have a cozy home and healthy children and things that I consider nice, and I wonder what exactly I did to deserve it and whether it will last.

I made dinner on my birthday because I promise, I don’t mind, and we went out for brunch and ordered in last night with friends, before drinking and smoking and playing games that had us howling with laughter and plotting revenge.

And where is the wisdom that becoming older is supposed to bring, where, among the comfort I am supposed to carry in my as is body and maturing outlook, is the bright light of understanding that age promises to replace when all reliance on being the ingénue has faded as truly and permanently as a curtain in the sun.

My child tears through the kitchen in footed pajamas, dragging a game behind her. The lasso has become a leash, wrapped around a cat toy because the cat won’t play, won’t let herself become noosed and dragged by a well meaning five year old who doesn’t yet understand that even the most domesticated among us prefer not to acknowledge the lead.


*** 

11 comments:

  1. I would say happy birthday, but you sound a little sad. Which I get, because it's January and sometimes people are sad. It's allowed. I will just acknowledge, then, that you are here, and thirty-eight, and writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More reflective than sad, maybe a little melancholy, but in an ok way. Thanks for the words :)

      Delete
  2. You know...I don't mind making dinner on my birthday either. Though games night with friends sounds pretty great, too. Happy birthday, reflective and wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe you ever really relied on being the ingenue ;)
    For me, the wisdom does feel good, even if my pants are too tight

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole part right here: "And where is the wisdom that becoming older is supposed to bring, where, among the comfort I am supposed to carry in my as is body and maturing outlook, is the bright light of understanding that age promises to replace when all reliance on being the ingénue has faded as truly and permanently as a curtain in the sun."

    I panicked about turning 30 and getting older this year, but a few months on the other side of the big three-oh, I sort of can't wait until 40 so that all of the awkwardness of my life and myself will hopefully be gone.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to 40 as well.

      Delete
  6. A belated Happy Birthday, here, though I managed to get you on FB.

    I turn 38 next week and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ang! And an early happy birthday to you. If you figure out how you feel, let me know.

      Delete
  7. A belated happy birthday.

    I am one year younger than you, but I find that each passing year marker brings more introspection. Perhaps, when people say that age brings wisdom, they're just confusing the two.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.