11.10.2015

Ten true things about writing my novel

The dots are easy. Connecting them is hard.

Writing a great sentence feels better than anything else, even if you have to delete it later.

There’s a reason they call deleting the great stuff, “killing your darlings.”

It is so, so easy to find other things to do when you know you should be writing.

I am scared to finish because what if it actually sucks?

I write with only three people in mind, and one of those people is me.

The things I’m writing about scare the shit out of me.

I already feel like a failure.

I absolutely want acclaim, but it is more important for my soul that the acclaim be critical and not commercial, which is in direct opposition of how the writing business (and my bank account) works.

I think that social media is the worst thing that has ever happened to writers, writing, and publishing, but that is a post for another day.

Bonus thing: I'm almost done. This gives me serious anxiety.

***

8 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I agree with all of these points. There are too many distractions; I have to isolate myself without internet to focus. I too am afraid my writing will suck and no one will buy my book. I want to make some money - is that bad? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're almost done!! So proud of you and every word you've written. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see your next steps. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you wrote some words after this post ;) Two things (aside from what I said on Twitter): First, in terms of acclaim, you are in the right country if writing lit fic (which I believe you are?) -- Literary fiction is KING is Canada, and with accolades and awards like the Giller up for grabs, this is absolutely possible. Second, I have to question the 'social media is the worst thing to happen to writers' ... how so? It's been one of the BEST things for my journey, from accessing support from other authors to hearing from readers who loved my book. So I'm curious to hear your take!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice article about kids. If you want to host a Face painting or princess or superhero birthday party please contact us from the links below

    Once you hire the services of photo booth rental toronto it is something that will give your party a whole new vibe. There are many other services and entertaining aspects that are surely going to turn the party into a happening one. There are arrangements of Face painting toronto that are quite normal and necessary for present day situation, must for modern day time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all of these points. play dohThere are too many distractions; I have to isolate myself without internet to focus. peppa pig I too am afraid my writing will suck and no one will buy my book. I want to make some money - is that bad? :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.