1.17.2016

2016. Ready or not, here I come.

So I quietly turned 41 last week, and have decided that today is the day I reflect on the year past, the year coming, and more importantly, the today.

I won’t lie: it was kind of a shit year, but only when I look directly at the timeline of the last twelve months. Not every day was shit. (Some were.) Forty was not a watershed year for me. I had no crises of faith, heart, career, or existential meaning. I also had no grand inspiration that propelled me to do any of the more positive, but no less obvious, things that people do when they turn 40. No marathons, no finished novels (welp), no health/weight loss/kindness/365-day pledges/journeys of any sort.

It was just a year. It started with a funeral on my birthday, which I am not be pitied for, because I was neither the person in the coffin nor a primary mourner of said person. It was a day to say goodbye to somebody who was very special to others, and to not think too much about myself.

I had, still have, am dealing with some health issues that peaked this year. But despite my grand and flourishing health paranoia (I have had cancer three times today), I will be ok. The many and myriad of tests and appointments I have had assure me that there is no serious underlying issue, which is good. Chris has always tried to make me feel better by insisting that it won’t be one of the big, scary things that does me in; that I will live a long life plagued with many small, frustrating, untreatable health annoyances. Looks like he’s right! But many days are not good, and there were periods when I did not leave my house, sometimes my bed, for days. Life was often derailed. I looked forward to summer.

Then I got pneumonia and summer effectively ended August 1. The doctor in the emergency room told me it was quite unique to get pneumonia in the middle of the summer. So special; so lucky. We cancelled all of our plans. 

The fall continued in much the same way. I had two really bad recurrences of the health thing I’m dealing with, one during the weekend of Chris’s fortieth birthday. We were in Toronto for the night without the kids, we ate good food, went to a concert, drank good drinks, and I woke up the next morning utterly wretched. I should have gone to the hospital, but I just wanted to go home. That was pretty much the end of me for two weeks. (There is no correlation between my night out and how I was the next day. The same could have, and has, happened after sitting in my own house reading a book for the night. That’s just the way this is.)

And then it was December, and the holiday season was lovely. And then Chris’s beloved grandfather passed away on New Year’s Day, and we made our way north, and we rallied and supported each other the best we could, and in the least important part of the post-script, I spent my forty-first birthday at a funeral.

So here we are.

And what of this year? We have some nice things planned for 2016, and I am cautiously optimistic that we will be able to see them through. My health has been stable so far, but I do live in constant fear of relapse. My book is not finished, but it’s close. I am terrified of finishing and terrified of not finishing. My children are great, so is my marriage, which I can say with real honesty, not just Internet honesty. Chris is a good caretaker, and I try to return the favour. We laugh a lot, because what the hell else can you do?

I am fed up with the Internet and people on the Internet, so I don’t spend as much time here. I have to update my dinosaur of a web site. I don’t really care about that right now. I feel bitter about offering my words within the context of a medium I have come to hate a lot of the time. Maybe that will change this year. Maybe not.

Right now I am sitting in my sunroom and outside is white. I like how the snow makes you see the contours of everything, outlines all it lands on in so you see the details. The flurries keep shifting: big, fat flakes falling slowly, then a sheer curtain of glittery specks. Every time I look up, things have changed.

**


22 comments:

  1. Here's hoping for a better year of health, Karen. Now, finish that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karen: I am sorry the year was shitty. Hope this year is much better for you. I had pneumonia in summer once - the year I was starting university. Missed Frosh week and all that other silliness. Which wasn't a big whoop because I hate silliness and Frosh social junk anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know the extent of your troubles this year. I have made vague references to my own shitty year and can honestly said that it was the hardest year of my life. But I, too, have a great marriage and great kids, and we're hopeful for 2016.

    Big hugs, friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bạn hoang mang, suy nghĩ về giấc mơ vừa đêm hôm qua rằng nằm mơ thấy mèo thì sẽ có điềm dữ hay điềm lành và nếu như Nằm mơ thấy mèo đánh đề con gì? đó là những câu hỏi khiến bạn phải lo nghĩ. Chuối sứ là chuối gì, nằm mơ thấy tiền báo điềm gì
    Vậy thì ngày hôm nay chúng tôi sẽ gởi đến bạn bài viết này để giúp bạn có một cơ sở nhất định và giải đáp giấc mơ cũng như là những con số liên quan đến giấc mơ gặp mèo của bạn đêm hôm qua nhé:
    Nằm mơ thấy rắn cắn mình là điềm gì Nằm mơ thấy người chết báo điềm gì?
    Giải mã nằm mơ thấy tiền báo điềm gì? Sổ mơ số đề
    Phần mềm zalo là gì? Làm sao tải zalo về máy tính, điện thoại?Nằm mơ thấy mèo đánh đềcon gì
    Dịch vụ order hàng hóa Quảng Châu rẻ nhất tại Hà Nội Mơ thấy mèo là điềm báo gì
    Nhận order hàng Quảng Châu giá rẻ ở tại Hà Nội uy tín chất lượng mơ thấy tai nạn giao thông là điềm gì

    chữa hôi miệng hiệu quả, chữa đầy bụng, cách chữa bệnh trào ngược dạ dày

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fall continued in much the same way. I had two really bad recurrences of the health thing I’m dealing with, one during the weekend of Chris’s fortieth birthday. Good to know that .... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. very good !
    for those interested in industrial production check my blog :)
    : https://producaoindustrialblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trmpi.com has a wide collection and wide range of designer boys kids wear and girls kids wear with heaps of novel colors and various options of clothing to choose from. Clothing range varies from boys t-shirts, boys shirts, girls t-shirts, girls shirts, girls dresses, boys shorts , boys denim, and much more. Visit Us - kids wear & baby clothes online india .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Runescape is a very popular game of the moment.Many Runescape Gold perple join us.The game has a fine picture, a wealth of operational experience, and quickly join us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,my new friend,this blog gives me a lot surprise and I like it very much.If you are interested in the game, you can come to my site Cheap CSGO Skins

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogs are so interactive where we get lots of informative on any topics...... nice job keep it up !

    escape games
    new escape games
    Point and click games
    free online escape games
    online escape games

    ReplyDelete
  11. Broşür dağıtım hizmetinde Ankara'nın en iyisi olan
    broşür dağıtım ankara hizmette
    sinir tanimiyor...

    ReplyDelete
  12. One with the popular hair loss natural remedies that you are do usually massage your scalp. mehndi designs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tablet PC offers a popular choice to share and keep in touch with all. The tablet PC would act as a great selection for the company people z4root apk.

    ReplyDelete


  14. شركات نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة تساعدك على نقل اثاثك بامان فلا داعى للقلق مع شركات نقل اثاث بجدة

    عزيزى العميل انت من محبى التنقل باستمرار بالتالى انت بحاجة ماسة وضروية الى الاستعانة بالمختصين في نقل العفش خاصة شركات نقل اثاث بالرياض لان الاستعانة باى من عمالة الشوارع الغير مدربة والتي لا تمتلك خبرة كافية في نقل العفش او الحفاظ علية وليس هذا فقط فقد يؤدى الاستعانة بعمالة الشوارع الى حدوث حالة فقدان وتكسير للاثاث بالتالى التاثير الضار عليك عزيزى العميل

    لا تقلق مطلقاً الان بشأن نقل اي منقولات خاصة بك طالما استعنت بشركة الاول لـ نقل الأثاث في الرياض وخارج الرياض فنحن ليس الوحيدون ولكننا متميزون عن اى مؤسسة أخرى داخل وخارج الدمام وشهرتنا كافضل شركة نقل عفش بينبع
    نقل عفش بجدة

    ReplyDelete
  15. Then all you have sap fiori left to do is slide it the particular strings near the bridge and viola! You play till eternity without needing to wake improving your general health neighborhood what is sap fiori.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This might place do not offer a selection of covers they can give you a resale covers which best online shopping apps in india can be still in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  17. capacity to find without a 500-page reference book photos side. Certainly one the best all-around utilities for accelerating your hardware is Glary Utilities, a treatment program that finds all the junk files, invalid check this once registry entries bobs of information that relax but slow your PC down. It's free, and after a primary run-through, your computer will be (almost) clean as a whistle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A couple of internet pals recently asked me why I don't write more boxing information online shopping apps. I've been in and out of boxing for ages. Like an addict, I try to climb out today from time to time, always and inevitably to fall back in.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.